Sunday, January 20, 2013

Wow! Here it is Sunday, and everyone is watching to see who is going to the Super Bowl.......except me. All I can think about is what I should tell you today. I have been researching diligently for the latest and greatest updates for you beautiful Naturalistas.
 
I would really like to hear your story about your journey to becoming a Naturalista. I guess it is only fair that I tell you my story. Here it goes.
 
When I was young, my mother always "pressed" mine and my sister's hair to get it bone straight. I remember listening to my hair fry (that was the Murray's grease crackling) as she placed the HOT comb on my hair. After she had pressed my whole head, she would then place the curlers on the stove, and wait for them to get HOT. After 2 minutes, she would remove the curlers, open them up and put a piece of paper towel between them to cool them off. After they were sufficiently cooled, she would commence to curl my hair. She would do this until my whole head was curled. I used to love getting my hair pressed, because it always looked so nice. I have posted a picture below of me in the first grade with my straightened bangs.


I would get my hair straightened until 1980, then I got a Jheri Curl! I never had a perm (creamy crack), because my hair looked like I had one when it was straightened. Another term for straightened is hot combed. Many of us young black girls growing up in the  '50's, 60's, and 70's straightened our hair either chemically or using a hot comb. Would you believe I still have a hot comb in my bathroom drawer today. Below is a picture of what a typical hot comb looks like. I can hear my hair frying. I remember my mom telling me to hold my ear (bend it away from the heat) so she could press the hair behind the ear. If you did not.....whooooooweeeee, your ear would get a second degree burn! I remember getting one, because I fell asleep. Never again did I fall asleep.



The pressing comb was introduced to us by Madame C.J. Walker.  Many of you know the story. If you don't.....Google her name and educate yourselves. Below are the curling irons that were used on my head. I actually never had the flat ones used, just the round ones. I remember visiting my friend and her mother would cool her curls by clacking them together, then she would put the irons on the hair, and you could hear her hair frying to perfection.



I would sometimes wear my hair without it being pressed. Below is a picture of me in the 7th grade sporting my afro. I thought I was the coolest thing around. I had my Ben Franklin glasses, my designer sizzler outfit ( I made it), and a super afro. What more could a 12 year old want..



This was the '71, and this picture was taken for my passport. We were getting ready to visit Australia for two years. Well, I look forward to hearing about your adventures on how, when, and why you became a Naturalista, or made a major change in your life. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment