Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Desegregation

Good Morning Terrific Tuesday!
First Grade, 1965

I love this time of the morning, because it feels as if I am the only one awake. There is not a sound coming in the open windows this early morn, but later, the birds will be singing their joy to the world.
When I ended my conversation yesterday, I had introduced you to my experience with integration.

Sometimes, I am confused with the definition of integration (leveling barriers, and creating equal opportunities regardless of race), and desegregation (ending the separation of two groups). According to Wikipedia, they are one in the same. Desegregation is largely a legal matter, and integration largely a social one. Whatever the case may be.....I lived it.

My mother took us and registered us at the school of her choice. There were no other black children in attendance at this school. There would be no transportation provided for us to attend this school. We would have to walk a long distance to catch the bus to this school.  My mother walked with us the first few weeks of school, so we would know the route.We had to walk through a grove of Plum Bushes (I got sick from eating too many), down a long street (leaving the projects), and then to the bus stop. We would then take the bus across town (to the White neighborhood) to attend school. My mother bought us tokens to catch the bus, and that is how we integrated Pearl Stephens Elementary School in Macon, Georgia. The year was 1965, the heart of the Civil Rights Movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment