Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Desegregation 2


Pearl Stephens Elementary School ( I am in the back)


We lived in Macon for 2 1/2 years, and my siblings and I attended Pearl Stephens for that long. I actually have good memories of attending the school. There were never any name calling or derogatory comments made in reference to our race. I loved when we had May Day, and the school would have a carnival for the whole day. They also had fairs on the weekends, that included eating a lot of  home cooked food and homemade taffy.
The next year at Pearl Stephens, more black children arrived. We were no longer the only blacks in the whole school. By my third year, there were quite a few of us. My third grade teacher was not very nice. She put my (and other black students in the class) desk in the back of the classroom. Now that I think about it, that was the only time I experienced racism at Pearl Stephens.
About half way through my third year at Pearl Stephens, my father got assigned to Korea. We had to move to Texas to live with my mother's parents. I would complete third grade at Booker T. Washington High School, in Wichita Falls, Texas. My mother completed her education at Booker T.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of so much....my first day integrating Winship Elementary after attending
    St Peter Claver..going to school in Mr. Sonny's cab..the taffy and snow cones sold after school at Winship...and the plum trees in our yard and the kids walking to Eugenia Hamilton Elementary and Ballard Hudson High Schools that would stop and lean over the fence to 'pick' plums. I was so glad when my aunt enrolled me in the neighborhood school (Eugenia Hamilton)but the teachers were different from the nuns and the teachers at Winship. THEY WERE MEAN AS A SNAKE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,

      Thank you for your response. Where was your school located? Did you not enjoy Hamilton?

      Delete